Shared hosting can be done in two ways:
1) IP based shared hosting
IP based virtual hosting is also known as dedicated IP hosting with each virtual host having different IP address. The IP address of the client is used be the server software to determine the visibility of the website
2) Name based shared hosting
It is also known as shared IP hosting. The service software identifies different users by their host names and all will have the same IP address.
Advantages of shared hosting
• Shared hosting is Economical as the cost of the server is divided among the users.
• For a small business organization, which has an average traffic, shared hosting is perfect. If the website contains large files such as videos or large image files shared hosting will be not sufficient
• The user will get his own domain name
• There will be a good support team for satisfying users technical needs
Disadvantages of shared hosting
• Security will be minimal as there will be many sites sharing the same server .
• Bandwidth is less so if traffic is increased there us a chance that the website might get over loaded
• Database will be available but support will be limited
• User doesn't have permission to install programs. Software support will be limited. The user must satisfy with that software which the service provider grants them.
• Shared hosting technique will not work in old HTTP/1.0 browsers
• In shared hosting if the file permissions are improperly managed there is a chance that another user might access the information and is a big security threat
• In properly secure websites like HTTPS shared hosting technique is not properly supported
If you are looking for a hosting technique that is economical and you wants a good start to your business shared hosting can the answer.